Sunday, June 30, 2013

Minds-On Mathematics - Book Study

Today I'm linking up with Sherrie at Middle School Math Rules! for a book study on "Minds-On Mathematics" by Wendy Ward Hoffer.
 

This week we're in chapter 1, which is an overview of the "math workshop", which, as the title states, is used "to develop deep understanding in grades 4 - 8".

Questions for this chapter:
1.  What were your biggest ah-ha moments from this chapter?
2.  What components of math workshop are already present in your classroom?
3.  What are your next steps for planning for math workshop in the coming year?

What were your biggest ah-ha moments from this chapter?
Since I already use a version of this (learner-centered classroom), I don't think I had a huge ah-ha moment.  I liked learning about the history and purpose of math workshop, especially the thoughts of Vygotsky and his theory of proximal development, which really states that working in groups is great for kids (p.2).  I also liked that Hoffer linked the need for math workshop to the Common Core Standards.  As stated, math workshop allows students to "experience focus... congruence... and rigor" (p.2).  I loved the belief that students are capable of brilliance!

What components of math workshop are already present in your classroom?
The format of my classroom is very similar - warm-up; mini-lesson; reflection; and a huge chunk of work time.  I usually do my mini-lesson during the middle of our 111-minute block as a way to break up some of the time.  I thought it was interesting in the sample lesson in the book how the teacher modeled by using "think-aloud" and then had the students pair up and discuss what they saw.  There was a lot of think-pair-share going on and that type of discourse is something I'd like to work on. 
The biggest difference in the book model and what I do is the type of problems given during the work time.  I completely understand the ideas in the book, but I wonder if there is a balance between working multiple problems and working the challenging tasks.  I hope that is addressed in a later chapter.

What are your next steps for planning for math workshop in the coming year?
My next steps are to continue planning for a math workshop type classroom (I only field-tested this type of model for one unit in one class last year).  There is a lot of front loading and I think that assessments need to be completed first.  You cannot be a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type of planner.  I believe this takes much forethought and planning to implement it properly.  I'm up for the challenge... are you?

4 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting book! I put it in my amazon cart as a maybe! Thanks for sharing:)

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jody
    I had a lot of the same thoughts you did. The reflection piece is so important and we often get caught up in the day to day teaching we forget this. This definitely will require thoughtful planning. I have seen how much time our LA teachers spend working through each lesson for workshop. It's a daunting task! Luckily I only teach math. Can't imagine how elem teachers do this in addition to teaching all the other subjects.

    Thanks for joining. Hopefully the link will work for you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Vygotsky's zone of proximal development. I always relate it to weightlifting. If the weights/math are too easy, there is no benefit for the muscles and likewise if the weights are too heavy. The weights/math tasks have to be in a zone that is not too light or too heavy to provide the right amount of challenge and benefit.

    I'm interested to know what you felt the difference was between your traditional class and the unit that you field tested the workshop-type classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED the learner-centered classroom! I was amazed at how on-task the students were most of the time. I really noticed a difference mostly with my lower learners - they were working and helping each other so much more than before. This class, though usually on par or a bit lower on overall test average, actually scored 5% higher than my other classes for this particular unit assessment. I did a post-survey of all of the students and the biggest comments were that they really liked working together and working at their own pace. I'm definitely implementing this for all classes this year!

    ReplyDelete