Monday, June 10, 2013

Implementing Common Core

Colorado is a Common Core state and this year we are officially past the transition period.  I like the idea of Common Core and think there is a lot of value in it.  Here's my dilemma: our school district has an initiative that all 8th graders will finish middle school having completed Algebra 1.  So, instead of teaching 8th grade math, I teach both Algebra 1 and Geometry.  However, since we have not yet transitioned to the PARCC assessments (correct me here, but I think with PARCC the students can test on the actual class they are taking??), I have to pack in both 8th grade Common Core standards as well as either Algebra 1 or Geometry standards into one year.

This isn't so difficult with Geometry since these kids are advanced and I can cover most of the 8th grade standards within warm-ups.  It's a lot tougher with those kids in Algebra 1 since, for many of them, this is their primary introduction into algebra.  Although I've been able to create a scope and sequence for the year, I'm worried about depth of knowledge.  I guess I'll be doing a lot of progress monitoring this year and have to reevaluate at the end of the year once more.

Here's what I've come up with:
Unit 1 - Transformations, Triangle Properties, Parallel Line Properties
Unit 2 - Number System (focusing on irrational numbers), Radicals, Pythagorean Theorem, Distance Formula, and Exponents
Unit 3 - Solving Equations
Unit 4 - Functions
Unit 5 - Graphing Linear Functions
Unit 6 - Systems of Equations
Unit 7 - Polynomials
Unit 8 - Quadratics (the algebra part - we moved the graphing part to the beginning of Geometry for time)

Units 1 - 4 are first semester and Units 5 - 8 are second semester.  I have about 35 blocks each semester per class to work with.  My goal is to continually use the items in Unit 1 within the other units if possible (for example, bring back transformations with graphing to work on slopes and equations of the line).  I don't want to teach something in August and not have them see it again until state testing in March!

What types of issues are you encountering with the implementation of Common Core?  What has been successful?

No comments:

Post a Comment