Saturday, June 15, 2013

Setting up Interactive Math Notebooks (INB, MSG)

At the Annual NCTM conference in Denver I was inspired by a booth and presentation on foldables. I am in love with them!!!  I'm not such the creative type myself, so I purchased two books full of templates ready to go.  Then, I found myself overwhelmingly inspired by all of the photos and information on Pinterest as well!  I've even gotten to the point that I had to get out of my "School" album and create and album for foldables and INBs all on its own!

So, now that I have all these resources, I decided that I actually needed to sit down and do something with them.  I've been toying with the idea of interactive notebooks for the last semester or so.  Our science team uses them and I think they have the potential to be totally cool and useful.  There are so many fantastic ideas and as much as I'd love to fit every single one of them into the notebook, I don't think that's possible!  So, here are the things I decided I wanted to do: (oh, and I'm going to call them Math Survival Guides, or MSGs)

Inside Cover & First Page:
I have two web sites the kiddos need to keep track of and I cannot tell you how many times someone would come up to me and tell me they forgot their logon information.  I decided they could glue a little strip to write that information on to the inside cover so that it is always available to them.  I'm sure I'll still get asked… but maybe a little less.  I also took one of the manilla pockets that divided the notebook into 3 sections and cut it up and glued it to the inside cover as a pocket.  I felt like this will give them a sturdy place to put items that need to be glued or flash cards.  The right side is the cover page, and I'm hoping the students will be a little more creative than I have been :).
Inside Cover w/ pocket and Cover Page


Table of Contents:
I'm still working on this page.  I am going to have them color code each unit, so you can see that Unit 1 (Geometry) is going to be green.  I'll give all the students one paperclip to hold the five pages they'll need for the TOC together so they don't have to flip through them every time they open the MSG.  I'm also going to have them include the date for each page, but I don't want to do that here since I'm hoping to use this for multiple years.  On the left I'm still thinking about what to put… rubric, standards (this is what I'm leaning towards), rules, etc.
TOC - still working on left side

The next four pages are for "reminders" of geometry formulas.  By 8th grade (according to Common Core) they should have already learned everything except for the Volume formulas, so these are basically a place for them to refer to as needed.  Notice that under each flap I've used pencil. I think color is great, and for their titles, drawings, etc I'd like them to be as creative as possible.  However, when they are doing actual math manipulation, I think it is important that they use pencil even in their notebooks.
Reminder formulas
More reminder formulas
The next four pages are the start of the real "meat" of the first unit.  We are going to start with transformations.  After looking at many, many examples, I decided that foldables and drawings will be on the left side and and response items will be on the right.  This is basically because I really dislike writing on the left side of a notebook because the spiral gets in my way the closer I get to the end of the page!  Just personal preference.  My first foldable I appropriated from tothesquareinch and I think it's fantastic!  I don't have a school budget for colored paper (*sigh*), so I added color to the actual figures instead.
Transformations #1
You'll notice my right side.  I've decided to complete one page a day on the right (remember, we have 111-minute blocks, so plenty of time).  The top (Write) part is where I may have the students put vocabulary for the day, work out a problem, jot down an important note, etc…  The middle part (Reflect) I will have them do during the middle of our class during "mini-lesson" time.  The bottom part will be completed at the end of class (sort of like an exit slip), but I won't always collect them (ohhhh, I have so much more to write about this - but another day).
Transformations graphic organizer
I'm still working on this page (transformations day #2), but I liked this graphic organizer from the Alden Schools.  I've written "What are the properties of transformations?" on the outside flap.  

I'm hoping that now that I've started this that things will move a little faster.  This is probably close to about 3 hours worth of work, but I had to make a lot of decisions about placement and other things (this is my type-A coming out here).  Let me know your thoughts and what some of your ideas for interactive notebooks are!

5 comments:

  1. Love the idea of math notebooks/resources and these are exceptionally cute! Check out the blog Rundee's Room if you need even more inspiration. She does younger kids (5th grade) but her math notebooks are so creative and cool.

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thought processes around your MSG!! Looking forward to following you on your journey.
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Belinda! I'm working on some more pages now and will post pictures soon. I created my first custom foldable yesterday and am totally excited about how it looks. Posts coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!! I am starting my 2nd year using Interactive Notebooks with my 7th grade Math class. I love the one you did for formula review. Did they come from a Dinah Zike's Book?
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa! Yes, they did. I went to a presentation of theirs as well as their booth at this year's NCTM conference and I was hooked!

    ReplyDelete