Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Minds on Mathematics: Chapter 8 (Work Time)



Hoffer describes four aspects of Work Time during a math workshop:

  1. Planning around vigorous tasks that drive understanding;
  2. Planning students' working groups to ensure that all are thinking;
  3. Training students to engage as independent mathematicians during work time;
  4. Stepping back from helping and instead serving as facilitator and data collector.
I've seen this work within my own field testing with very positive outcomes.  I gave two incentives for my class:  a lunch pizza for the highest scoring group and getting to keep their group (if they wanted) if the entire group scored 70% or higher on the test.  This really seemed to motivate everyone and scores soared!

One thing I will need to work on is #1 - vigorous tasks.  I have two new math teachers at my grade level and I think they are going to be a big help with this.  We will basically be rewriting how we teach each unit, based on the aspects above.  I've really been utilizing Illustrative MathematicsInside Mathematics, and the Mathematics Assessment Project (MARS) site.  They have great interactive investigations to really challenge the students.

I also liked the strategies Hoffer suggests for grouping students.  I loved the Appointment Clock way of grouping and think I might use that with our journals.  I agree with the thought that students can definitely tell when they are grouped by ability level.  My daughter hates that… She came home this year and asked me, "Why do the teachers always put a smart kid with the kids who don't do anything?".  I had to feel a little guilty when she asked because I know I've done this before.  I appreciated talking to her about her perspective.

This chapter is full of such practical ideas for a math workshop and I can see them really working well within my block class.  I will definitely bookmark it and come back to check it out again before school begins!


No comments:

Post a Comment