Saturday, July 27, 2013

Minds on Mathematics: Chapter 4 (Community)


I enjoyed this chapter because it reinforces what I found last spring when I field tested a learner-centered classroom - student like working together!  When I had the students fill out their post-survey on this type of classroom, the two most frequent comments they wrote were, "I like being able to work at my own pace" and "I like that we could work with others".  I found that I had more "math" going on in my classroom using this method than in the traditional teaching style.

I agree with the book, though, you have to set your expectations and let students know when they are not performing the way you desire.  They should be talking math, not about their weekends (although, that will happen, it just shouldn't be the focus for the majority of the time).  I like the discussion on page 52-53 about "norms" and having the students help develop what will essentially be the classroom rules.

I like that the author really broke down how to run a collaborative classroom.  It's not easy and you have to be willing to give up some control.  Your classroom will not be quiet, either, but students will be engaged.  This was very difficult for my type-A personality, but I ended this class each day so pleased with my students' work, so it was worth it.  

She talks about accountability - not having one student hold the group together - by using individual preparation, entry and exit tickets, peer observations, and warm calling.  I added on to this by having each group member give their other group members a grade that I would also take into consideration.  I gave a each individual a separate "group" grade at the end of the unit based on my observations and the secret grade of their peers.  Students could give a 3 (my group member worked hard for a majority of the unit and participated with the group), 2 (my group member mostly worked with us, but didn't always participate with the group), 1 (my group member worked with us sometimes and didn't really participate), or 0 (my group member didn't work with us at all).  I think this really helped those students who don't like group work because they feel like they always carry the group, feel better because they had a little control.

Great chapter!


No comments:

Post a Comment