Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Minds on Mathematics: Chapter 10 (Sharing and Recognition)



So… I've finally caught up with my chapter posts since vacation!  Phew…. that was a lot of reading and reflecting, but I've done it.  I really loved this book and know that I'll refer to it over and over again.

Speaking of reflection, that's what this chapter was about.  The author discusses the importance of granting our students time each day to think about what they have learned.

Metacognition - thinking about our thinking - is the last step in a daily math workshop.  It gives the student time to sit back and process the items that they've covered during the class period.  They can think about things they understand, topics that are still unclear, and "a-ha" moment, or state something in a different way to help cement material.  It allows students to take a short, quiet moment to put the period at the end of the class and finalize their thoughts (instead of that mad rush of shoving papers in backpacks, tossing books on the shelf, and running out the door because the bell rang).

For my own classes, I will be utilizing my math journal (Math Survival Guides, MSG) for this purpose.  I will actually be doing this twice during my 111-minute class period.  I am going to have students reflect just prior to the mini lesson in the middle of class and again at the end.  Below is an example of a page I've created for one of our first units:


Notice on the right side the three topics - Write, Reflect, Review.  I am going to have my students complete one set of pages (for example, this is 5/6) each class period.  The left will hold drawings, foldables, and creative items.  The right side will almost always be Write, Reflect, Review (now that I'm typing, maybe I should switch the last two…?).  Write will contain any important information outside of the notes I'd like students to have.  Reflect will be something they think about and can write on prior to our lesson - possibly bringing in some background knowledge or items from the notes they are working on.  Review will be my "end of the day" piece, similar to the exit ticket.  I liked all of the suggestions listed in the book and mine will vary between questions for clarification, to explaining their understanding, to writing about what they'd like me to go over.  Since it will be in their journals, I'll probably collect them on quiz/test days to grade and may also glance at them while walking around during work time.

I do like the idea of reflection, but I have to come up with a system that works for me.  I tried exit slips, but being able to read, grade, and possibly give good feedback became overwhelming.  I'm excited to try the MSG system and see if it works.  I'm hoping this helps get the students in the habit of reflecting at the end of each class period.

2 comments:

  1. Jody, I'd be happy to share my files with you. I can send it as a .ppt (which would allow you to "customize" it) or as a .pdf. Send me your email address!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a silly question at all. I'm not really sure how to do that, but I added a spot on my right side bar where you can contact me via email. I tested it and it sends me an email (which is what I would've expected it to do but I wanted to make sure!).

    ReplyDelete